Tuesday, June 22, 2010

TV Tunes Tuesdays: The Musical Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Welcome to a rousing edition of TV Tunes Tuesday.

I effing love Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There. I said it. Whew. When I was younger, I used to hide my love, as if people were going to find me weird, but as the years have gone by and with the DVDs purchased, I feel I can come out of the Buffy Closet.

Speaking of which, it's always on the Logo channel these days. When I was flipping through the channels one day, I came across Buffy on Logo. I was unaware what channel it was, but was thrilled to see such awesomeness. As the commercials came on and there was a lot of man on man smooching, I realized Logo must be a channel gearing towards a gay audience, but that's cool. I may not be into other chicks, but were I to go gay, I can think of no one I'd rather do so with than Buffy. Not Sarah Michelle Gellar. Only Buffy. Yes. I am a 25 year old with a girl crush on a fictional character. Sigh.

Moving on.

During season six of the show, a little episode premiered that would change the world. By world, I mean my life. The episode in question? 'Once More with Feeling.' Yes. The musical episode. Logo recently had a full weekend marathon of Buffy Fan Favorites, and guess what came in at 1? Yep.


Buffy is often seen as a show that was worthy of Emmy's, but was too soon. Had it been made today, it almost surely would have been a perennial nominee for various actors, writers, directors, etc. This episode solidifies that thought.

Synopsis: A demon is in Sunnydale that makes people sing, then dance until they burn. Spontaneous combustion style. The catch is that everyone is affected and when they sing, it's not just a fa la la, but they sing their deepest, darkest secrets. None of the main characters are exempt, as Xander and Anya sing about doubting their upcoming nuptials (foreshadowing!), super hot Spike sings of his love for Buffy, Dawn whines about being ignored, and the most important nugget, Buffy lets her friends know that she was not in Hell when they brought her back from the dead, but rather in Heaven. Sounds ridiculous if you don't follow the show, but I swear, it's bunches of awesome.

Here is the best group number of the show:



Giles has a killer voice. The actor, Anthony Stewart Head, actually has some music out. Google it.

Another favorite is the following Spike tune:



Dear God. I love everything about that song. From his helpless love, to that super sexy look he has when he gives her the full body glance as he sings about being 'a willing slave', and the intensity. Va Voom.

I never understood why James Marsters wasn't more famous. He's a decent actor, plays sexual evil to perfection, and was always pretty hot. Dude should have a better agent. I always thought he should be in more stuff, but then I realized he's not even British (yep, fooled me) and he also seems super weird in interviews. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I think I found my answer. Also, he's surprisingly hotter with super fake blonde hair. You think a guy must certainly not be hotter with the peroxide vibe, but take a look at the pics below. The first one says 'I'm artsy and affected', while the second says 'I look like one of your accountant Dad's work buddies, ya know, the one who used to be hot in the old days and now tries to recapture his youth by hitting on you and your 20 something friends.'





Maybe that last part is just me.

Regardless, the Buffy musical episode was genius. Secrets were revealed, some voices were surprisingly good, and the final shot is a smoking hot kiss between my crush (Spike) and my girl crush (Buffy).
INTENSE.

You can even buy the soundtrack:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails