Tuesday, June 29, 2010

TV Tunes Tuesday: The Woefully Bad, Yet Woefully Addictive Instant Star

This week's TV Tunes Tuesday sees another tv show aimed at the kiddies. What? I'm immature, I know.



Canada makes some awful tv shows. The kind of awful that gets you sucked in and makes you want to watch weekly to see more terribly written episodes(ie. Degrassi). One of said shows that is no longer on TV would be the feature of this week's column: Instant Star.

The show focuses on Jude Harrison (yes, because it is a music related show it's chock full o' Beatles references). She is the winner of an American Idol type tv show and follows her through the ups and downs of four years in the music business. It follows her relationships (often ultra cheesefest drama style) with everyone from family, friends, and dudes, to business associates, fellow artists, and fans.

I can't pretend that this show is great. It's not. I really can't even pretend that it's good, because so much happens that has you furiously exclaiming "That would never happen!" Ridiculous moments happen with her family and especially with her producer/love interest Tommy, a much older, former boy band guy. But I gotta admit, it is quite entertaining. Every episode is heavy on original music and I believe each season has its own soundtrack available for purchase.

Star Alexz Johnson has a pretty haunting voice. It's not something I would generally dig, but the emotion that's lacking in her acting is apparent in her songs. I gotta say, I want to hear more from her post Instant Star.

I LOVE THIS SONG:


The caps were so necessary.

Other stars include her best friend Jamie (who's a guy and on/off love interest) played quite well by a guy named Krsitopher Turner. I just checked his IMDB and he's not in much that you would know, but I have to say he went from her dorky sidekick in season one to a smoking hot guy in season two. Mad impressive.

Another hot hot hottie from the show is previously mentioned Tommy Quincy, played by Tim Rozon. I can't say he plays this role that well, but it's ok, because most of his screen time consists of looking ridiculously attractive. No joke. This guy has to be one of the most beautiful people in the world. Get him some acting gigs, because according to his filmography over here, he's not in too much worth noting these days.Waste of a pretty face.

The relationships between Jude and her many men seems to take center stage over everything else and at times it gets borderline outrageous. I think there was a point where in 4 episodes she was in love with 4 different guys. Everything always comes back to Tommy, though, which is even slightly weird as he's supposed to be like 6 or 7 years older than her. The age difference is brought up occasionally but no one really seems that creeped by it, so I guess the viewers are supposed to go along with it. Normally I'm not a prude about such things, but I feel like if they wanted to make her and him a thing (which they do for four seasons), then she should have started the show at 18, not 15. Just sayin'.

Here's a clip of a bunch of Tommy Jude moments that a fan has made that I came across while looking for a clip from the show. I can't say I'm that obsessive, but you have to respect the effort that these fans put into this stuff:





"Breathe Me" by Sia must be the most used song when making fanvids. I think I saw it in about thirty of them in a matter of ten minutes. Off topic, but what a great song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails