Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Billboard (Not So) Hot 100

Sometimes I enjoy perusing through the Billboard Hot 100, just to see how off base my tastes are with those of the general public.

The results?
Very. Very off base.




According to Wikipedia:

Chart rankings are based on radio play and sales; the tracking-week for sales begins on Monday and ends on Sunday; while the radio play tracking-week runs from Wednesday to Tuesday.


Some notes:

First, I couldn't stop giggling at several titles I have never heard of. Yes, I'm talking you, "I Invented Sex" by Trey Songz.

Second, I was shocked by how many times relatively new rapper, Drake, appears on the list. I think it's around 4 or so. Drake is pretty street. Especially when he used to go by Aubrey Graham and starred in Degrassi, the Canadian equivalent of Dawson's Creek. Nothing says street cred like teenage soap operas, but if you watch it, you can check out some of his early skillz.

Third, I decided to pick out the five gems that are actually pretty awesome songs on the list of mediocrity and bring them to you for your listening pleasure.




5.
Gettin' You Home (currently #51)
This song makes me blush and that has to count for something. A little cheesy? Yes. That fact aside, Chris Young has a great old time country sound and it's good enough to crack the top five of my list.





4.
Fireflies by Owl City (currently #1)
An infectious song that you can check out in the post below this one.


3.
Hey, Soul Sister by Train (currently #47)
Train is like a less famous Counting Crows. They have a hit song and then go away for a couple years, but you can never really count them out of having another mainstream hit in the future. They're responsible for one of my favorite songs of all time, so I have a bit of a soft spot for these guys and Patrick Monahan has a great bluesy tone to his voice that is very recognizable.





2.
Run This Town (currently #11)
Just a great hip hop song by the best rapper currently in the business. That simple.





1.
Need You Now by Lady Antebellum (currently #21)
To anyone who says country music is not as good as it used to be, you need to check out this band. Completely awesome in every aspect and the vocals of the male and female leads play off each other in a way that sets them apart from other boy/girl bands. Also, I love bands comprised of people who are true musicians and the more I listen to Lady Antebellum, the more I have to say they are one of those bands. Besides, who hasn't been in the situation they sing about in this song?







Honorable mention to Taylor Swift who has about half the songs on the hot 100. I actually am a fan, regardless of how lame that makes me. She's all over my playlists. Don't hate. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any of her best tunes on the list.

So, what do you think? Did I miss something or give too much credit to one of the tunes above? Speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails